15 November 2017

Floriade 2017

 
Greetings everyone!
To continue my series on views around Canberra, I have a post full of photos from our annual flower festival, Floriade.
 
Right next to the park where it is held, is this water jet named after Captain Cook. It has recently been refurbished and shoots higher than ever. We love it! 
 
 
 

Miles led the way to the ferris wheel this year. That was his goal. You will notice in the video Aiden didn't join in. He has struggled this year with asthma, and had to wear a mask.

 

The festival is mostly tulips with underplanting, planted out in interesting shapes. Believe it or not, this is a tulip not a rose!

 

Miles decided that he had "renewed my fear of heights" once the ride had started. That dubious look and clutching hand are not posed for the camera!
 

However he did admit that the views from the top were magnificent.

 
You could see the patterns beautifully, and even see the water jet.
 
This year being a significant anniversary year (the number of which escapes me), they planted out the lake as they used to do in the old days. It is so pretty, and one of the highlights for me.
 
 

This is a Spring planting in the normal park just outside the gates. I think it is almost better! Shhh.
 

And we escape out of the bamboo maze...phew!

 
 
This was taken near another lake which happens to be in the local cemetery. One of my places I go for some quiet time.

 
So here is a video of us tripping the light fantastic at Floriade 2017.
 
Oh, and I thought I'd share my poem about the Captain Cook Water Jet:
 
piercing the lake's surface
the water jet stabs skyward
taunting and tilting at the clouds
a spike of liquid
with delusions of grandeur
~
 Jazzy Jack
13/02/01
 
Til next time,
keep on creating!
 
Love,
Jazzy Jack
 

6 comments:

  1. Look at those glorious blue skies, the floral displays and the frilly tulip. It more than brightens my dull, grey Winter day. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to oblige! We do blue skies well here. It's rain we have trouble with!

      Delete
  2. wonderful pictures! so pretty blooms and you di them justice in your bright patterned sweater!
    your boys are so brave - facing the obstacles. say to miles that i had a backslash of my heavy childhood vertigo even after years of fearless rock climbing - one spring, our first trip of the year into the mountains and i was unable to climb properly! i was so ashamed and angry about myself - the next day i mentally kicked myself to remember me of all the work to overcome vertigo and that i totally love to be a mountaineer - it worked. since then. ok. - the first high after a long time without is alway tickling - but now i know its just a case of acclimatization.........
    (please translate this in proper english before giving it to the boy!)
    happy spring to you!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always say the most courageous people I know are also the most fearful. I'm so glad you overcame your fear in such a triumphant way! Thanks so much for your lovely encouragement to my boys. Mwah!

      Delete
  3. Jack,

    I enjoyed your photos immensely! We've never been to Floriade, but maybe we should arrange a trip to Canberra next spring to see the flowers. The displays look spectacular.

    A lake and a cemetery? That fits my idea of a perfect quiet time place too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well worth a visit at least once! I find it a little samey year after year, but once in a while is great. We could meet up!

      Delete

If a topic has special significance for you, or touches you in some way, I'd love to hear your story!