5 April 2020

A to Z Writing Challenge : A for Absence



Absence

I woke
To a power cut
Sudden silence
All machine noise
Stopped
The whir of the fan
The refrigerator hum
And the sudden choking
Of my husband
As his c-pap
Cut out
Slowly the natural sounds
Filtered in
A kookaburra's laugh
Chuckling through
The open blind
And then the power
Came on again
I felt relief
And the ceasation
Of my brain meanderings
About fridges
And solar panels
And batteries
I realised how
Tied we are
To that slim line
It became powerful
In its absence
1/4/20

3 comments:

  1. We used to always have Power outages during Monsoon Season in the Old Days, not so much anymore as they put most of the Lines underground now, which protects them from the inclement weather. We are tied to so much and now is a time to reflect upon what we really could do without and what is essential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How tied we are to that Slim line! Oh so true!
    That moment of silence! I loved the Kookaburra's interjection into your silence!x

    ReplyDelete

If a topic has special significance for you, or touches you in some way, I'd love to hear your story!