23 August 2020

Our New Apartment

 Greetings my long suffering friends.

I am checking in with my biannual blog post!

I think in my previous post I mentioned we were waiting to move into our new apartment. Well, the title gave it away, but we have moved in. Actually we moved almost three months ago now.

I have been waiting until the pictures were hung before taking photos to post. It always feels finished with pictures on the walls.

We still have many possessions in storage which need sorting, but we are living quite comfortably in this new little space.

It is a two bedroom sub penthouse apartment on the 12th floor, the size of two tiny houses side by side containing four adult sized humans and a medium sized dog.



We managed to bring some favourite prints of stained glass and our porthole mirror from our old house, which we paired with a new IKEA couch in such a gorgeous rusty red. It warms me every time I look at it. And it looks old already! Very long. Four of us can sit along it and it is wide enough to be a bed if necessary.


We made the piano a priority in the space and bought a folding table at IKEA for the dining room. The table is stored at the entrance as you can see here.



This plus a few plants indoors is all the garden I have now. So I make it count by adding a mirror. I think my decorating style would be called when-in-doubt-add-a-mirror!


We fold up our mattress and make it into a chair so the bedroom can be used as a living space/office in the day time. The desk with the best view in town.


The boys have the master bedroom which they have divided into two rooms. This is Miles’ section with wardrobe and chest of drawers creating a private space behind for his bed. 


To his right is a door to another small balcony which gives them their own *small* space. Miles loves to use the door as his whiteboard.


Aiden just loves his little cave. He lives in the walkin wardrobe. We created an elevated bed with storage and desk underneath. He requested it. And he can fold up the bed to stand if necessary. But so far he loves to do sumersaults to get out of his chair!



And this is the reason we did all this upheaval. The view! Plus the proximity to the city and learning about living in an urban environment.


The trees on the right are our local park. Can you see the police jet skis on the water?

I hope you can see why I have been absent for so long. But I am going to try to be a bit more consistent now we have moved.

Please excuse my formatting. I’m still learning the new Blogger!

‘Til next time, keep on creating!

Much love,

Jazzy Jack

6 comments:

  1. Nice! I'm glad you kept the piano. I've never lived higher than the first floor so being on the 12th must be an adventure. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is an adventure. Especially for Miles who is afraid of heights. He is becoming quickly desensitized.
      Thanks for stopping by.
      xo JJ

      Delete
  2. OMG that View is Sublime! And the Apartment and how you've Styled and configured everything, especially in the Boy's Room, standing Ovation! Yes, Mirrors and other Illusions work for me too. *winks* The 12th Floor is reminiscent of when I worked at a large Bank during my first Corporate Life and they gave me an 11th Floor Office with floor to ceiling Windows. I have Vertigo, so I had my Secretary sit where normally the Execs positioned their Desk, she loved it and I could still see the View but without the Panic Attacks of thinking I was free falling into it. *LOL* I think you're going to really enjoy your new digs... worth the wait, wasn't it? Welcome back, you were missed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I love your vertigo story.
      Miles has had most adjustment but is quickly adjusting to standing on the balcony. He said other three storey buildings he previously had trouble with now feel low!
      Glad to be back.
      xo JJ

      Delete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed your room tour! Congratulations on your new home, how exciting! The highest floor I lived at was my parent's apartment where I grew up on the 6th floor. The view was very nice - town center and a little church they built lately. Your view is gorgeous, and the park is at your doorstep - which you probably enjoy a lot. I loved your living room with wall art, rusty red couch (looks so comfy) and piano! You are creative with your space and found room for everyone!

    I think I told you that we were thinking of moving to a condo...and we did! Ours is townhome style, so I still have a little garden space. We love our home so much, it's a dream come true! But less time for blogging, as you said, in this period of life. I will write about it some time.

    How are you adjusting to the new conditions? Do you miss your old home or got used to the new environment pretty quickly (or both)? How your boys like it? Is it closer to your husband's work?

    So lovely to "see" you again!!
    Hugses!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to hear from you again Natascha!

    We are adjusting so easily. This place is so simple. My stress levels are way down. The boys are loving it too, even Miles who was our sticking point.

    We miss creative space to do large projects, and I miss gardening a bit.
    But I was always frustrated I couldn't keep up to the weeds and watering. Now someone else does it!

    We just love being in the urban world despite Covid. We should have done it years ago.

    So glad your move went well and you found a happy space. It sounds lovely!

    xo JJ

    ReplyDelete

If a topic has special significance for you, or touches you in some way, I'd love to hear your story!