12 January 2022

KFC poem


recently a KFC has been built
across the road
-glorious saviour of our view-
but along with it comes
an air conditioner hum
which revs up at 8 in the morning
and shuts down at midnight
our days are now peppered 
with a drone
which my musical mind
insists on copying
and echoing
all day long
there is a real relief
when it quietens at night
my whole system relaxes
how to live with this?
maybe I can use it
as a timekeeper
a sign to go to sleep
and wake up
maybe I can listen to the silence
under and around the sound
the times my mind is occupied
by other things
and maybe I can see it 
as the music of the spheres
the universal hum
vibrating through me
ommm…
10/1/22

4 comments:

  1. Interesting, novel subject for a poem. I never associated KFC with humming but that's your experience. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, is that coming from the mind of an aspy? I think so! I say that because my son and I were both diagnosed with it recently and it explains so much! I would be counting the revolutions of the fan just like I'm way to aware of the neighbor's dryer vent and their downspout dripping. But on another note, my hubs works with heating and cooling and mentioned that there are silencers that can me installed on those. Or, if they're not installed correctly they can also be louder. Something to look in to maybe by mentioning it to a regional manager if you're so inclined. Once my mind is on something I have a hard time letting it go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no with the KFC 'music'... how to live with that background noise for so many Hours a day would be a challenge. I often have issues with certain background noises and the counting of things I don't really need to count but find that I do so anyway. That said, intense Quiet bothers me more than the noises of Life unfolding around me... the Silence is kind of creepy when it's too extended. That View tho', I'd never tire of gazing out across from your vantage point.

    ReplyDelete

If a topic has special significance for you, or touches you in some way, I'd love to hear your story!