20 July 2018

Ebb and Flow

Greetings my fellow sojourners!


I have been exploring the concept of ebb and flow which I heard about in a blog somewhere. It has really piqued my interest. The idea is that you naturally have fluctuations in energy levels during the days and weeks. And you need to match your jobs to your natural energy level, rather than banging your head against a brick wall trying to do something when you are not able to, or wasting time on a routine task when your energy levels are high.
So they advise writing two lists so you have ideas ready to go for both these states.  I did this, but have yet to use them. But the concept is constantly in my mind.


The other method I am using is a week on/week off method. 
One of my absolute worst things to do is to have appointments. Things like the dentist, the electrician or the Dr all fall into this category. I felt I was drowning in appointments, so decided to give myself every second week off from them. I have just finished my first week off and although I was not as relaxed on the week off as I would like, it was refreshing to feel myself ready to tackle the appointment week once again.
It's also nice to be at the beginning of an appointment free week (as I am right now). It feels like a mini holiday!
It took me a while to realise that I do not have to have my foot on the accelerator 24/7. The appointments will take place, just at a slower pace. And although my natural state is push, push, push, my body doesn't like it. And this new system is waaaay better! I think I just need a little more stimulation with fun outings in the week off to help me relax. Still tweaking, but looking good.

On the topic of ebb and flow, I unearthed this poem again. I posted it a while back, but it fit so well I'm sure you won't mind reading it again.




As I walk the line
Along the shore
I wonder about permanence
And impermanence
Wash and backwash
Hearing the splash of waves
In one ear
And crunch of rock
In the other
I wonder that
The same waves that erode
Also build the beach
I ponder
The crab, shell fish, even seaweed
Have much to teach
About living with grace
in tumultuous times
Here where life provides abundance
And then lack
And so I tiptoe shore footed
Among my musings
Keeping a fine balance
Avoiding the blue bottles.
27/11/2016.

Something else I've been working on is I've decided to write down my life, or at least the bits I remember. It feels a little grand to be calling it my "memoirs", but it will be a place the kids can go to read about my interesting life.

Here is a snippet:
We had a lot of problems with security in our time in Mt Hagen. Our windows were covered with  "boi wire" which was basically squares of reinforcing wire. And eventually we had a home made alarm system installed. Little crocodile clips fastened on to pieces of wire protruding from the bottoms of the windows. ALL of the clips had to be attached when we turned on the alarm or a great noise ensued! It was our job to check all the windows to make sure before we flipped the switch. It was sooo tedious, and it was inevitable that someone had knocked one off when pulling a curtain or opening a window. All these precautions were moot the day we came home and found someone had cut through the wall under our dining room window and squeezed between the framing. They must have sent in a child!
We were broken into a couple of times. They usually stole food and men's clothing. I remember when Dad had to borrow a belt to get to work. He was rather a different size than our neighbour! The most memorable break in was when afterwards we discovered a plate of pineapple missing from the fridge. We could just imagine them running down the road balancing it.




I have just put together another of my videos from recent family happenings. This one is accompanied by me on the piano. I hope you enjoy this peaceful perambulate through our lives.


Til next time,
keep on creating!

Love Jazzy Jack

5 comments:

  1. this sounds like 2 very smart concepts! will forward this to the BW - he is very in need for a new work style.
    your poetry and music fits my mood this morning.....tranquil video.
    have fun writing your memoirs - i find that snippet funny - from my anti-colonialist view point
    ;-D
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I follow a similar style when scheduling appointments. I do find that my week off can sometimes be challenging for other reasons. I sometimes become very unmotivated and lethargic. I have a feeling this has more to do with me living alone than anything else. I feel a bit isolated during that week. I'm hopeful my husband will return home this year. Two years is as much as I can handle.

    I can't believe you had so many issues with break ins. Not fun.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a treat to explore with you all in the varied situations. Thank you too for taking us down memory lane in your story .... yes those clips were trying to say the least!! We love your poem and of course the aural piano memory is a delight!!! love D&M

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that your approach to appointments is a good one. I think my Dad and Stepmum need to follow this as their life is always hectic!
    I love your poem- oh, so beautiful!! Sea poetry is always my favourite!!x
    That is a nice idea about memoirs.x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of writing two lists with different activities for different energy levels, I think it would be perfect for my changing mood. Sometimes I prefer quiet activities (crafty!), and other days it's all about going to swimm and walk and run errands. It would be better if I have all my projects organized in two lists: 'suggestions for quiet days' and 'go out and get stuff done'.
    I like your idea about appointments too, I'm used to pick a day to do all this stuff, but sometimes I feel overwhelmed!
    Always inspiring and evocative pictures and words!
    besos

    ReplyDelete

If a topic has special significance for you, or touches you in some way, I'd love to hear your story!