25 November 2020

Apartment catchup

Greetings one and all!

It always feels like a momentous occasion when I finally sit down to write a post to you all.
It IS a momentous occasion :-)

I thought today I would fill you in on goings on around here in our Republic Roost high in the sky.
We are settling in well into this city life. We are coming up to 6 months already on the 3rd of December!
How time dashes by.

We have had the first of our repair requests dealt with today, and another tomorrow.
We had the first 90 days to check the place out and then send in a report of all the defects. 
Today the man came to look at the façade. Outside in the air next to our deck, we have some screws that didn't look properly inserted. Instead of going into the slats that shade the deck, they were going beside them. The guy looked at them and pronounced it safe as the screws were just there to support while they installed it properly. I was relieved to find out we would not fall off the building if we leant heavily on the slats! Phew! One problem solved.
Here is a photo of our beans growing up these same slats. Of course I didn't think about the repair when I planted them. I was worried I would lose my beans today just as they are flowering, because they needed access. But fortunately all was fine and the beans can stay to twine another day.



Oh Boy, this post is taking forever to write. Now I know why I don't do it more often.
I have a very slow laptop I am trying to incorporate into my writing routine, to somehow get things done. But in order to get the photos uploaded from my camera, I had to deal with a whole year's worth of footage I had stored there! Of course I made some error and managed to put folders within folders and lose half the stuff and then duplicate them. Argh!
Anyway, deep breath. All done now, and I'm back to writing to you.

I have no idea what to talk about. Maybe I will just upload some photos of some of the changes we have made since the last time we spoke.

One of the biggest changes is that Cris has officially early retired from the Australian National University.
The kids and I made him a little banner and wrote on some balloons, and had some flashing lights and music, as well as a nice dinner to welcome him home that night.
He enjoyed it as no one from his work bothered to do or say anything. I was shocked. The only person who invited him out for drinks was his ex boss.
Time to move on to pastures new where he is appreciated.
Although he did receive a lovely note from a former student who was shocked and saddened at his departure.







Our garden is looking happy with all the little seeds germinating away. I have some tomatoes, some herbs and some butterfly plants with a butterfly house. And finally a camellia which will probably become our Christmas tree this year.


We have installed a new fountain in our entrance to give Winter a fancy water dish, and also to be gentle relaxing white noise. Unfortunately Winter doesn't like the taste, so we still have to provide another water dish! The plant is going to alternate with the plant in our bedroom to give it more light.
We stood bottles under the water flow to dampen the sound and to look pretty. 

I have rooted some offcuts from our miracle plant and they now will reside in our windowless bathroom, and in our bedroom. Also being swapped around for light. This is my attempt at not having to use plastic plants. Let's see if I'm successful.


Another addition to our decorating is our two guitars. We decided to hang them on the wall to encourage us to play them, and also to get the cases off the floor. It will degrade the guitars minimally, but what good are they perfect and never played? And they look pretty cool.


I have installed a yoga cushion on the floor in my bedroom in the window. I call it my window seat and I will regularly be seen gazing at the world going by. Sunset is a favourite time, watching the light change across the lake and the trees.


And finally, I have bought myself a lovely cheap mat to dissipate the effect of the grey box and add some colour to our lives. I love how it makes the room feel cosy and brings in the colours of the furniture. It also hides the dog hair (apart from the dark brown square in the front)  


In case you were wondering, here is a very bad selfie to let you know how I look these days. I cut the legs off a jumpsuit the other day to make this little romper. It is brilliant on super hot days!


My computer is doing my head in, so will leave it there for now.

Oh, exciting news, Aiden can now jump three steps on his scooter and land it. He did it first try! It has been a goal of his, a New Year's resolution which had to be fulfilled before the next year. And Miles got into a University bridging course for next year to start the process towards studying Engineering.
He is currently studying Physics online and having a blast.

Til next time, 
keep on creating!
Love,
Jazzy Jack


2 comments:

  1. Great post! We could tell that you were frustrated with that old computer at all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Loved the Update, and WOW, has it been Six Months already!??!?! The Boys are no longer Boys now are they, hunking Young Handsome Men they now are! Congrats on both of them pursuing their Goals and Congrats on the early Retirement for the Hubby... tho' it was crass of his Employer not to acknowledge it. Indeed moving on to where he is better appreciated is the right move. Those views from your Windows are EVERYTHING, I could watch the world go by all day too high up on that perch with such panoramic splendor! I have a large arched Window in the Living Room here and we watch Life going by on the Main Road, I like it... the last place was too isolated and apart from Life going by and being a part of it. I enjoy being back in City Life too, so much to see and to do, everything so conveniently located, we Love our New Home, Location and Neighbors too. I'm so Happy everything is playing out so well in your New Home, and I should try more REAL greenery, yours really made me realize I'd prefer the Real Deal to the faux plastic I've presently settled for. I do have one Green Ivy in the Kitchen Window that is from way back when I worked at the DA's Office... it was a rescue when another coworker threw it out thinking it wouldn't survive, here it is all these years later still thriving in it's little Swan Ceramic pot and giving me a second cutting that is also thriving.

    ReplyDelete

If a topic has special significance for you, or touches you in some way, I'd love to hear your story!