16 December 2018

Working together

Hello again! Fancy meeting you here again so soon.

I thought I'd check in and let you know how the singing went.
Last night we had our 9 lessons and carols service which we have been practicing for for weeks.
As I said in my last post, I had some meltdowns during a couple of practices due to ...life!
So this performance although less involved for me personally, was also much anticipated.
I did do a solo verse and was in a trio which was a little stressful due to lack of practice opportunities and last-minuteness. However, all went well. We didn't stuff up too badly and the sound was glorious. Somehow the carols were my favourite part, because the congregation joined in with gusto. It really felt we had a cathedral's worth of people singing in our tiny church. Of course the choir is full of trained voices, so it packs a punch as well. The whole thing was a lot of fun and my family came and enjoyed it too. We knew it would all go well, or suspected, but the real triumph was the resourcefulness and stickability required to get there and perform. If that was the story in my family, I wonder about all the stories involved in the choir and even the congregation to make that triumphant moment part of all our lives. 

I really do have a hard time sometimes with my "art" being so ephemeral. I want a tangible thing to remind me of the moment and to have something to boast over. It seems hard to allow it to disappear into nothing. But maybe it doesn't. Maybe it is released into the lives of all who were there. Life after all is just a series of ephemeral moments which make up our story. If I can be involved in others' moments in such a pure and joyful way, then I am grateful.
I am thankful my body recovered enough to allow me to stand in amongst the noise and not immediately start crying. 
I am grateful for my training that helps me through my nerves during solo moments.
I feel the hand of my teachers resting on my shoulders as their words of wisdom are brought to life.
And I feel the audience buoying me up with their expectation and delight.

I also really loved the end of the service where we all file out to the courtyard where the supper is ready and sing "Silent Night" to guitar accompaniment. This is where having Christmas in Summer makes sense.

I leave you with a picture of our Christmas tree from last year (because we haven't got around to it yet this year!)
It is a picture for me of how a slightly wonky imperfect life can light up the world.


Much love and Merry Christmas!
Jazzy Jack

4 comments:

  1. Everyone singing Silent Night in the courtyard sounds simply divine. I think moments like those are what make the holiday season special.

    Last year's Christmas tree is quite groovy.

    I'm glad you've been recovering and managed to sing with the choir and were happy with the results. Just showing up must have been stressful. So happy you keep putting one foot in front of the other and pushing through.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yey and Wow!!!! It sounded wonderful ! We can imagine the scene and we know the sound would have been a joy for all the people there. The congregation would have been encouraged in their singing by all the trained voices. congratulations on your part bringing joy to others.
    Our readings and carols are this Sunday evening, The choir will be up in the organ loft which will be fun being near the organ sound. We trust it goes as well as yours. Love D&M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember your Xmas tree! :) Silent Night is my favorite carol of all. Such a beautiful tradition, carols! I am happy for you, my dear! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes! may it be imperfect or ephemeral - every little spark lights up the world.
    i´m glad to hear the singing went well for you and you & your family had a wonderful event....
    wishing you all the best! xxxx

    ReplyDelete

If a topic has special significance for you, or touches you in some way, I'd love to hear your story!